Like all designer, it was interesting to watch the latest Apple product release (even if the design was leaked a few months ago). To me the most interesting part is its construction; basically a metal frame (which also acts as an antenna) which is then capped off with two pieces of glass. As I watched the ‘design’ video on Apple’s site and they explained the construction, the first thing that came to mind was Kaleidoscope’s Greener Grass concept phone the LINC. The LINC phone, designed with carbon foot print and recyclability in mind, has a metal frame captured by glass. I am NOT suggesting that Apple stole the idea from Kaleidoscope’s design team, as I believe that all good designers push for new and interesting forms which in most cases require innovative manufacturing techniques. The difference is that some designers work in an organization that enables disruptive thinking. Most designers work for companies (or with clients) that are content with incremental change.
As a designer with a soft spot for killer execution and finish I am glad to see that Apple continues to push the envelope of what is possible. It is also nice to see that Kaleidoscope’s designers are ahead of the curve.


No comments:
Post a Comment